Thursday, March 17, 2005

Hippity Hop - It's Easter Bilby !

I arrived at my second show today at one of my regular community kindy preschool centres at Carina, pulled up in the shade of a convenient street tree, wheeled in my folding trolley with my tin trunk prop box and drum and was pleasantly surprised to see the teacher, Sue, had put up a display about Bilbies, those wonderful long eared marsupials from Queensland's western desert country.

SpinHopMsBDoyleI couldn't resist doing a story about the Bilby in the show so I told the students about going out to Bedourie to the Arts Camp last year and the story that we created about Spinnifex Hopping Mice and you guessed it Bilbies. Brian Doyle created some great cartoons to accompany the story.

After my show, the Carina preschoolers went back to creating their Easter cards with Bilby cutouts. Brianna, who had stood up in the show and co-created and co-told a most wonderful little story with me, presented me with her card.

BriannaBilby 'Dear Daryll, I hope you have a lovely time at Easter - the best Easter ever! From Brianna.'

The spirit of Easter and of Bilbyship is definitely in the air.

No comments: